PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT
IMPORTANT RESOURCES AVAILABLE ON SUICIDE PREVENTION AND MORE:
Dear Wildcat Families,
In light of recent life tragedies and suicide stories, which we may find flooding our social media outlets, Sinnott PTA, with the support of CAPTA and National PTA, is compelled to help create more awareness and support on mental health and the very real issues of depression and suicide that are affecting both youth and adults.
National PTA has always been an advocate for families and it always will be.
We implore you to take a moment to read this email and share it with more parents as there is information that may strongly support and encourage those of us that need to seek help. Please know this is not limited to our community, but goes beyond our immediate surroundings and is for ALL as depression and mental health struggles do not discriminate.
Here you will find the following:
- Mayo Clinic Article - RESILIENCE: Skills to endure hardship
- Stanford Resource Center For Youth Mental Health and Wellbeing
- CRITICAL INFORMATION regarding the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why
- CA State PTA - Suicide Prevention Know the signs, Find the words
- Santa Clara County BHSD Resource Supporting Wellness and Recovery
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Mayo Clinic Article: MEDITATION: A simple, fast way to reduce stress
- SJSU Counseling and Psychological Services: SELF-CARE TIPS
Messages of self awareness, mindfulness and self care are highly prevalent in all forms of media today. You might consider TIME Magazine's special edition titled, "The Science of Happiness" and shares "new discoveries for a more joyful life in relationships, exercise, inner life, diet and meditation." And every 2-3 months there are free copies of Meditation and Health magazine located at Marina market and Seafood City in Milpitas.
"You don't have to be a mental health professional to help someone in your life that may be struggling."
It is our hope that this information earnestly encourages us and/or those around us to seek help when needed. And it is imperative we actively increase self-care to support personal health and wellness.
John Sinnott PTA
Sinnott PTA Parent and Family Engagement